TIPS FOR BRAIN HEALTH
Your brain requires essential vitamins, minerals, omegas and antioxidants to help you stay focused and energized! Explore the health benefits of nootropics, adaptogens, omegas and vitamin E.
Though the name may sound unusual, (The word is based on the Greek for “mind turning or bending.”) you’re already acquainted with a nootropic—caffeine. A nootropic is a compound that helps to boost cognitive function like memory, creativity, motivation and attention. Providing a healthy boost of vitamins and amino acids, these nootropics can help you gain a mental edge. Some nootropics include:
- Caffeine increases alertness by blocking adenosine receptors in your brain (which makes you feel less tired).
- Bacopa monnieri is an herb that contains bacosides which have antioxidative properties for brain cells—potentially helping to increase memory and information processing.
- Panax ginseng has strong anti-inflammatory properties, helping to protect your brain from harm caused by oxidative stress which aids the brain’s ability to function.
- L-Theanine an amino acid found in tea, can be calming without causing drowsiness.
- Creatine, another amino acid, bonds with phosphate when it enters your brain, which creates a molecule that helps fuel brain cells, helping to improve short-term memory and ability to reason.
These versatile herbs help your body resist stress of all kinds. By promoting adrenal wellness, adaptogens can help combat fatigue. Here are some adaptogens you’ll find in our Vitamin and Supplement aisles:
- Ashwagandha helps to sooth and balance your body’s reaction to stress.
- Rhodiola rosea helps to reduce mental fatigue and help with stress—and is also considered a nootropic.
- Schizandra helps your body to resist the effects of stress as well as improve focus.
- Reishi is a type of mushroom that can support your immune system.
Keep your brain engaged with essential fats, the most critical components for boosting brain power. Your brain is made up of approximately 60% fat. Omega-3 fatty acids help to maintain the function of your brain cells and neurotransmitters, helping your brain adapt to new information and facilitate cognition.
An antioxidant, vitamin E helps protect cells from the oxidative damage caused by free radicals. The brain is especially susceptible to this type of damage, which is why vitamin E can help promote cognitive ability.